Since last week was my third week, and today marks the middle of my fourth week, this post was long overdue.
But I've been busy.
I covered the annual cancer fundraiser, Relay For Life Saturday. It was a ton of fun. I killed two birds with one stone that day. You see, at the event the Kiwanis Club served a complimentary breakfast to the participants and I volunteered to help them- I was the server of the scrambled eggs that morning, bright and early.
I was incredible anxious about covering the event. I walked onto the go-kart track with no idea of any kind of angle for my story. I stood hoping something would come to me. Like a newspaper omen of some sort.
It came to me.
After the last call announcement rang out over the fairgrounds and the last throng of hungry families and individuals came to grab some breakfast I took a walk around the track and took some notes when the excitement began. I heard a name called over the loudspeaker. The name belonged to a man who walked the entire night and was still walking.
Jim Cozine of Willimina.
There was my angle. I stopped alongside the track waiting for him to make his way past me and when he did we walked and talked for a lap or two. It was exciting listening to him and wonderful to just be there period.
I also picked an interesting team to interview as well. The woman I spoke to was great, I made her cry with one of my questions- just a little bit. I knew it would happen one way or another because some of the activities tied to Relay For Life are heart rendering.
I felt good when I got home, tired, but still maintained a great feeling- until I fell asleep.
Since my last post I have written some things that need links.
A brief for Relay For Life , I suppose I'm the designated hitter for this ball:
Relay for Life slated this weekend
Letter to the Readers, equivalent to an opinion piece which I am all too familiar with being tasked to write for The Linfield Review:
Between time, something we all need to cherish
and finally a story about a couple who had twins right before Father's Day:
Twins tied to family legacy
And that's that. It's time for my morning root beer float :)
I'll have to link the piece I did on the happenings at Relay in my next post. The paper has yet to come out as I type.
Septembre "The Intern" Russell
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read that story about the twins! very cool.
ReplyDeleteWay cool. It's impressive that you show so much assertiveness in your work, when so many interns just take orders and done what they are told.
ReplyDelete