Saturday, November 28, 2009

OMI internship update

How was Thanksgiving for everybody. In the last 2 weeks, I have made an immense improvement in learning and implementing the BNA inventory software. Since OMI is a insurance company, not a manufacturing company, the inventory of the company is classified as product inventory, which means each asset, such a chair, a table, a worksurface, has to be tagged and inventory seperately. Among them, they are further classified into capitalized assets and non-capitalizee assets. So when I imported all the assets into the new Inventory software, we were having a hard time to figure out how to make the program recognized which asset is a capitalized asset and which one is not. Then we found out that you can only capitalized a category of asset, which mean, if you capitalized the Chair category, all chairs will be catapitalized asset. So you can not have some chairs as capitalized assets and some are not. But that was the real problem because the company does have some category of asset that can be under both capitalized or non-capitalized. Also, the software has some problem, we called the technical support and they admit that at this point, the software has not figured out how to recognize capitalized or non-capitalized asset. To deal with this problem, I had learn to create an user-defined field in the software that tells me exactly what asset is a capitalized asset and what is not. That was a big relief for everybody because without recognizing capitalized asset, we can not make this Inventory software run together with the Fixed asset software. This coming week, I will run it on the real server because I have been testing the software on a laptop. I'm excited about thissss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment