Wednesday, August 19, 2009

News-Register intern gets the scoop

Being the first to know something is an awesome feeling- especially if you are a reporter. Being the first to know something important is a thrill. Today was a milestone for me. I was sitting in the newsroom working on transcribing an interview for a feature I plan to write and someone from the front desk asked where everyone was. I didn't know, and for that reason she transferred a call from Captain Ken Summers to my desk. He told me that a prisoner escaped from the courthouse that day-- BREAKING NEWS delivered straight from his mouth to my ear. He wanted N-R to put something up on the internet about what happened, only he didn't give me a full description or tell me what the man was wanted for. I called around and around and around- believe me, and I eventually found information on his description. I typed up a medium sized paragraph, but Dan Shryrock did one better. He told me to condense the info into a 90 character blurb, he was going to text message it through our system to the people who were signed up for that service of ours. Genius, I thought. We listened to the police scanner to keep abreast of any details and there really weren't any. I gave a call to Steve Bagwell and he told me to e-mail him the breaking story so that he could post it to the Web immediately. I couldn't do that without finding out more details. I called around and was given the direct number to Capt. Summers. Summers gave me a name and told me a what he knew about the escapee's criminal background. It was quite interesting what I learned from him. I was the one who got the info all together when no one else was around. How exciting. It really was quite amazing. Dan says that was the greatest thing that could have happened to me. I feel like a star sort of... But this star has to go to church. As of a quarter to seven the suspect. Andrew James Webb, 28, has not been located although he is BAREFOOT, in a BLUE JUMPSUIT and HANDCUFFED. It is believed that he planned his escape--- I hope you read the story about him, he was pretty clever.
To be continued.
I got my big break. Bigger than being on the front page at least once.
___ Update____
My name isn't on the story, but I had the info first. And it's not that grand a deal to me anymore so I guess that's that.
Septembre 'The intern' Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment