This last week, I spent my time at Panther Creek Cellars in McMinnville sorting grapes. The fruit was harvested from the vineyard early in the morning and trucked down to Panther Creek by the time I arrived. Crates were then dumped down onto a conveyor belt, which was constantly vibrating to move the grapes along. We had to search for the mold/fungus called Botrytis and remove the bunches that contained this. We also removed leaves and other imperfections. The grapes then went into a de-stemmer, which removed the stems, leaving only mashed grapes and juice.
I also had the opportunity to look around the winery and learn some more about different types of grapes. One challenge was that inside the grape bunches were living a number of ladybugs and earwigs. The earwigs apparently liked to hide in my clothes and then crawl out during class afterward. I will definitely be showering immediately after doing this again.
Chris
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment