This last week I did a mixture of activities through my internship. I spent part of the week at Panther Creek Cellars, where I was able to participate in "punch downs", which is using a giant plunger-type tool to mix up the grapes and grape juice in the open container fermentation stage. I also spent some time injecting Oxygen into the larger tanks. I also spent more time sorting fruit, which is nothing new by now.
On Friday I conducted initial research into a project we are working on now about building distribution networks. I was basically starting out with nothing to work with, so I searched for distribution networks on Google and on the websites of other wineries that distribute. I recorded contact information and made notes about the different firms. I am researching for Washington and New York, so those are the areas I concentrated on. Vista Hills currently only distributes locally, but is increasing self-sustaining production, so soon they will need the information about distribution areas.
I also spent some time in the Tasting Room. Unlike sorting grapes, the tasting room is different everyday because of the people I interact with. To be fair, I do interact with different grapes every time I sort though.
-Chris
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Different grapes? You crack me up!
ReplyDeleteDistribution sounds like quite an interesting project. You are going to love the wine event on November 4th. One of the alums who will be there used to work for a national wine distributor, so you will have a lot to talk about.